Saturday 7 January 2012

Almost Home

Some people can pull off the tea-dress and work-boots look.  They are usually about 19 and fairly ethereal looking.  I look like a gentle builder who goes by the name of Sandra at the weekends.  But it's a comfortable combination, especially as I'm doing a lot of walking at the moment (for which read getting hideously lost with badly drafted instructions in my hand).  The cobblestones around Ixelles are a bit treacherous in pointy boots. 

It appears from this morning's outing that I live in the centre of the kebab district.  It seems to be a heavily Turkish area and I really quite like it.  Just used my new debit card in Carrefour for the first time, with quite some trepidation.  You will be pleased to hear that I exist, and that my card works.  Not bad considering the account was opened yesterday.

Quite a long bus journey spent listening to conversations, or trying.   I catch beginnings and endings of sentences and am waiting patiently for the language to unknit itself.  I was delighted to understand a whole sentence the passenger next to me garbled into her phone.

Having some tinned tortellini now (hey I never said I was sophisticated) and then off to see "We Need to Talk About Kevin".  It's almost as if I live here.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are settling in so well, Jane.

    Carole xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carole. I'm sure there will be moments when I wonder what the hell I've done but it's all ok right now.

    ReplyDelete