Sunday 4 December 2011

A Room Somewhere

Exactly one month today, round about now, I'll be on my way.  So rather than lay in bed rehearsing slightly tearful and implausible station farewells, I need to get my arse in gear.

Arse is a wonderful word; far better than the half-arsed ass of our US chums.  I can remember it being said of my sister "She took her arse in her 'ands and went".  A wonderful expression of umbrage and disdain.

The English arse is somehow much more emphatic.  Audrey Hepburn yelling "Move your bloomin' arse" in My Fair Lady was quite a moment.  Lovely Audrey, all done up in Cecil Beaton, shouting rude words.   Coincidentally, Audrey Hepburn was born in Brussels.  Audrey would have got her arse in gear, I'm sure, even though it was tiny.   

So, enough of this.  There will be no emotional farewells; just a large Americano and an overpriced ham and cheese baguette.  Onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment