Wednesday 2 May 2012

Raining Pouring

I appear to have moved to the wettest place in North Western Europe.  It is as if all those years of my saying that I really like rain have come home to roost.  I still do like it, although would prefer not to be pushing two children in a soggy buggy through it, in a stupid but effective hat, pulling my wet cardy sleeves down over my wet knuckles.  It comes to something when you think "oh well at least it's vertical rain and not that bastard diagonal stuff!".  It would not surprise me if Belgians had 50 words for rain.

Occasionally it still very much surprises me that I am here.  Because I don't do things like this.  I stay within a five mile radius of where I was born.  I cling to security.  And then I didn't.  Unsurprisingly, or perhaps surprisingly, life feels pretty much the same here as it did in London, despite the shifting of tectonic plates. 

There is a feeling that I'm waiting for something.  Whether this be an event, a person, a change within myself, I am not sure.  What is certain is that the only sensible thing is to ignore that feeling.  If one waits for an event, or a person, or a change within oneself before engaging with life, life will trot on anyway.

Don't wait for the rain to stop. 




 

5 comments:

  1. So very true. I have to say this to myself a lot - I have that feeling and could easily watch my life drip by, leaving me behind. Splash on regardless. Axx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I am waiting for something to happen most of the time. I don't like the feeling and wish it would go away because life is passing me by while I'm just thinking about it. I remind myself sometimes of something my father said when he reached 70 years old that he was waiting for his life to start. I found that so sad and try to make a determined effort to stop all this waiting.
    Do you mean Belgium is actually wetter than the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all share the feeling of waiting in the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ayak, I dunno, I haven't been back to the UK since I left! But surely it couldn't be wetter than here.

    That is a very interesting thing about your father. I have a similar tale: when my mum died, my dad said to me something like "I've waited fifty years to be myself". Leaving aside the insensitivity of the remark (it wasn't long after the funeral), that strikes me as incredibly sad. He had waited FIFTY YEARS to be himself.

    So let us all agree that waiting until you are 70+ to start living is a really, really shit idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One should not wait another minute for anything. We have no time for phylosophy as sweet as it seems sometimes...I say the moment is now and every minute is NOW. I take the most out of it and enjoy as if it was my last day on earth. And the joy that comes with every activity, trip, friendly gathering etc - that joy is what makes me feel that the moment of now is the best chosen moment to live :)

    ReplyDelete