Sunday 31 May 2020

Nailed It

A hospital during a global pandemic would not be first on my list of places to go on a sunny weekend, so of course I have ended up going to two.  

Over the last few days I noticed that my left middle finger was swollen and painful.  By Saturday morning I could not bend the finger, or make a fist (for righteous anger, for which there are so many reasons).  The red swelling was creeping down the finger and going a bit purple.  So to Ealing Hospital Urgent Care, where marvellous people gave me antibiotics and codeine, and a referral to the hand trauma clinic at the Royal Free for this morning.

This seemed a bit over-zealous, but the marvellous people at the Royal Free stuck needles in me, swabbed me with iodine, and then removed my whole fingernail.  Somehow, I am managing to type with a bandaged sausage finger.

Things noted:  Hampstead might be the loveliest place in all of London.  Also pretty much nobody on public transport is wearing face-covering.  I, with my cut-off leg of legging, felt quite overdressed.  Even the doctor who did my hand was wearing no mask.  Clearly I didn't get the memo.  I will continue to wear something when I'm around people in an enclosed area.  Apart from anything else, it makes me feel mysterious.

Going to have a lay down now.  My manicure had exhausted me.


No comments:

Post a Comment