Saturday 29 June 2019

The Last Chicken

A large part of my job was ensuring that students didn't escape during the day without permission, so it was kind of ironic that on my final day I couldn't get off campus.  Having said many goodbyes over the last week, in my final hour I was pretty much alone.  The odd IT person (not a slur) was wandering about and the support staff, but apart from that, there was nobody there but this chicken.

As I was carrying quite a bit of stuff (I haven't plundered all the stationery, it was just my own shit) I thought I'd get a taxi home the last day, leaving like someone in Eastenders.  But there was nobody in the Chateau to order one for me.  I walked down the hill and - because I no longer had my security badge - was unable to open the electric gates.  Neither was there a guard on the gate.  Neither was the intercom working.  Swearing quietly but effectively to myself, I called them on my mobile and was advised to wait. So I waited.  I waited.  Finally my favourite guard came to let me out and that was me gone.

I then called a taxi and he sang to me all the way home, mainly Prince and Bob Marley. 


No comments:

Post a Comment