Sunday 16 June 2019

Dive Dive Dive

I am beginning, imperceptibly, to get into the tuck position necessary for my spectacular dive.  What that actually means is: desultorily packing the odd box, drinking too much wine, and feeling the edge of coming terror.

Friday was the work picnic, which was mainly Prosecco.  We had it on the all-weather track-and-field field and it was startlingly hot.  That shouldn't be a surprise, but it had been pissing down cold hard rain most of the week.  There were small children splashing and drinking the rainwater in the tarpaulin over the long-jump.  Dogs likewise.  I think I managed to get drunk and not offend anyone, which is always good.

After that I took round to my colleague her laptop, as she's been sick for some days.  Due to her neighbouring-proximity we have become sort of friends.  Perhaps if I'd stayed we would have become good chums.  She was much perkier and we shared a bottle of wine in her startlingly hot garden.  I attacked kalamata olives with gusto while she told me unrepeatable stories.  I know there is probably an elegant way to eat olives, but I nibble all the flesh off, because I'm common.

Having spotted a job I really want, in the place I really want, I'm now getting the fear.  What if I get it?  What if I don't?  What if I don't even get an interview?  What if I'm actually shit?  Last night I had a nightmare about the one essential part of the job in which I have no experience. 

There is something about condensing your entire work experience into something punchy, sexy, and marketable that makes me want to remove my spleen with a spoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment