Sunday 10 March 2019

Hot or Not

Since Thursday, when I came home from a scan at Saint Luc Hospital, I've had a fever.  We English people don't say that.  We say "I'm running a temperature". I can't say that any more.  I've become too foreignised.  I suppose it's like the way the rest of the world says ananas and in English it's pineapple.  So I have been battling a fever.  And a cough.  And feeling like shit.

I didn't have a thermometer until I was recently hospitalised.  Yes, for 56 years I have managed without a thermometer.  Now I take my temperature slightly obsessively, and have discovered that I have a resting body temperature bordering on hypothermia.  35 degrees is very low, but that's my normal.  I am cool, it seems.

I think the fever is on the wane now so hopefully I'll be able to go back to work tomorrow.  Also, more importantly, I have another hospital appointment in the morning for aspiration of my sinuses.  Last time the surgeon couldn't get in because of swelling.  If he cannot get in tomorrow I will be tempted to say look, I've had the local, just keep going, and apply my knee to his elbow.  What's the worst that can happen?

20 weeks today to my departure.





No comments:

Post a Comment