Monday 22 April 2019

Century City

Today, it is exactly 100 days until my departure.

Bits of furniture are falling away, by way of Facebook and Freecycle.  The big items I've yet to list as I'd forgotten how fucking tiresome the whole process is.  And how easy it is to fuck up and give the wrong person the wrong item.  Still, there is nothing nicer than seeing things go to a good home.  OK, so maybe they flog my stuff on Ebay.  I'm not really that bothered.

July, waiting out there like a glittering bit of glass in the sun, is going to be a huge month.  Within the space of about two weeks I will become a grandmother; go to visit my daughter, her partner, and my GRANDSON in Paris; come back and have my fourth sinus operation (we're going to need a bigger hole); then finish everything here and leave Belgium.

The city itself, I will not miss.  I'm waiting for some premature nostalgia to kick in and it isn't.  The yellow, orange and shit brown of the metro will haunt my dreams for years.

But I've met some lovely, lovely people here and it's possible I won't see them again for a very long time.  When one day I am relatively settled, or just in a Wetherspoons with a massive glass of cheap wine in front of me, I will be able to reflect on the last seven years.  At the moment I'm just throwing ballast out in an effort to stay airborne.




No comments:

Post a Comment